Thursday, April 10, 2008

Darcie D

I've decided to create this blog for people who have had difficulties with getting pregnant, who have had miscarriages, lost babies that were still born or have preemies. I have experienced a few of these. When Brandon and I got married we had decided to wait until he was done with school to start trying for kids. Well about five months later I felt a strong urge that we shouldn't wait. So we started trying and a couple months later we found out I was pregnant. At 10 weeks I started spotting and miscarried, the baby had died at about eight weeks. And that was the same with my second pregnancy. I forgot to say that the doctors decided that I had PCOS, (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) after the first miscarriage, symptoms we can discuss later. Which I doubt I have. So I started taking glucophage and lost 30 lbs. I then got pregnant with # 3, James. I carried him to 30 weeks then I went in for my regular check ob appointment. and we were talking about how much he moves, which was not very much, and the Doc decided to have me get and Ultrasound. So the person that did the ultrasound didn't seem to concerned and didn't offer up a lot of info to my doc so he demanded a second opinion. We came down to Rexburg to Dr. Crouch and found that there was no amionic fluid around the baby. So he called life flight and we were flown down to UofU Hospital. ( I was supposed to be in my best friends wedding that day so I completely missed it.) The Doctors we had at UofU were, wonderful and have always been there for me since, Dr. T Flint Porter and Dr. Kjersti Aagard and they discovered that James wasn't going to live when he was born. His heart filled is whole chest cavity so there was no room for lungs. So we basically had to wait for him to die before they would induce me. We didn't know when that would happen. Luckily we didn't have to wait long, he passed that night. So that was two years after we were married. So we waited a few months to start trying again. We got pregnant again the next summer(James passed Oct of 04) and miscarried at eight weeks. This miscarriage was different because technically I was pregnant but there was no baby just the egg ( Blighted Ovam - if there are questions about this I can answer them). I found that I was pregnant with #5 in Nov. and we took precautions I quit the glucophage as soon as I found out and I used progesterone suppositories. We saw our doctors in Utah once a month and our doctors here once a month!! I spotted once but we made it through that. We made it to 28 weeks and we had an appointment in Utah and they said that she had stopped growing. They said I hope you guys like Salt Lake City because your staying here. They put me on bed rest in the hospital and I was for two weeks. They wanted to see if taking me off my feet would help concentrate the nutrients going to the baby. Well it didn't really work and at 30 weeks they decided it was time to take her because she had a better chance at survival out since everything looked normal. Callie was born 1 lb. 13 oz. and was perfectly healthy. She did have extremely brittle bones but she has log since overcome that! She is now almost two and we have started trying again. She is spoiled and needs a sibling!!

I hope everyone shares their feelings and experiences. I feel we can all learn from each other and support each other. It is always good to go over things with women that are going through similar things. And the thing that I have learned is that YOU MUST GO ON!

6 comments:

NurseNana said...

Darcie,
I'll be very happy to pass your blogspot along to everyone I know that is having similar issues. And with your permission, I'll include your link on my own spot.
And to everyone out there who waits and waits for miracles, I can tell you that little Miss Callie is one!!! I can't wait to see her again, and to meet her future sibling... (hopefully NOT the way I met Callie), but you know I'm always here for you all!
Love ya, Nana Karla

Lacey Allen said...

Darcie
I was actually thinking about you yesterday and wondered what your story was. I knew you had trouble, but I had no idea how many times. You are so strong, and have such great faith. I don't know that I could have kept going after James. You have been blessed with Callie and I am sure you will again. I am going to show my cousin your blog, she is going through something similar. Thank you so much for this site. Love ya, Lac

Anonymous said...

Wow Darc! You are an incredible woman. I knew you had a lot of misscariages but I didn't realize they were so severe. I look up to you a lot. I couldn't have made it through. Thanks for being such an amazing example!!!
Ash

Gloria said...

oh my gosh Darcie-I am so sad to hear all the problems you have had. I had no idea that that was going on with you and Brandon. I am so glad that you have a healthy little girl-that is amazing! I hope and pray that all goes well with the twins-I wish you the best of luck. Thanks for sharing your story.
Gloria

Suzette said...

Hi Darcie,
You don't know me, but I was told about your blog from a friend (Mary Duncan's sister Katie). I am so sorry to hear all the trouble you have had. I lost twins last year after a very long, scary pregnancy. At 18 weeks I found out the girls had TTTS (Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome). We had to go to Salt Lake and have a surgery to try to correct the problem. The surgery was successful, but unfortunately, my water broke two weeks later. I was in the hospital for several weeks and had to deal with some pretty scary issues there as well--blood clots, breathing problems, heart trouble. At 24 weeks my identical girls were born in the ICU. Chelsie's heart stopped about an hour before she was born. She weighed 12 oz and looked just like her older brother. Charlie weighed 1 lb 9 oz and was in the NICU for 6 days. She died the night before their funeral. The girls were buried together in the same casket. It has been such a difficult year, but I treasure each memory I have of my girls--feeling them move, hearing their hearts beat, seeing them kick each other in the head on ultrasound, looking into Charlie's eyes for the first time just minutes before she died, kissing their warm heads, holding their tiny hands. God has reasons for everything--even when we think it really sucks. God's plan is perfect though. Have faith in that.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Darcie,

I just found this blog through a friend and started reading. I'm totally amazed by your attitude! I don't think I could go through all of those miscarriages and still keep trying. Thank you for sharing your story! It has made me realized how blessed I am with my little family!

Megan